Eagles In Leadership is a consulting, training ministry targeted to the next generation. Developing young eagles is our passion as we “Encourage Achievement in Godly Leaders by Emphasizing Servanthood.”
Eagles in Leadership enhances your God-given “eagle” qualities in servant-leadership.
Our vision is to Encourage Achievement in Godly Leaders by Emphasizing Servanthood (EAGLES). We desire to be a mentor and coach to people who desire to soar as the “Eagle” God desires them to be. We want to communicate the vision and heart of God, from the Word of God, so as to encourage the men and women of God to respond and grow in love with God and live their life for Him. We aim to develop men and women into Christ-like leaders who can shepherd, train, and encourage the flock of God. Evaluating, developing, managing, coordinating, designing and implementing programs are some of the skills we seek to develop. Leadership training, problem-solving, encouraging and strengthening individuals and families are priorities in our ministry.
Out of our urban experiences with Hispanics in East LA, Haitians and Jamaicans in Miami, and Asians here in LA County, Eagles In Leadership has committed to 7 core values:
- Biblical authority – We truly believe ministry, to be effective, must be Biblical in its theology and its methodology.
- Urban contextuality – Those who influence the next generation of the Church will be those who speak city, breathe city and bleed city from their DNA.
- Multi-ethnic, multi-generational ministry – We focus on “every tribe and language and people and nation. ” (Revelation 5:9, ESV)
- Missional priority – We seek to put the mission we have been given first – we didn’t need to write a new one.
- Supra-cultural tenacity – We teach and train so that the lesson works whether we are in Los Angeles or in Lagos.
- Servant leadership authenticity – Followership is at the heart of all our “leadership” – the towel and the basin are our highest models for ministry.
- Communicative clarity – We aren’t trying to impress academicians – we simply want to work with people whose mother tongue may not be English and don’t have time to cipher through our training materials.
- We develop reproducing disciples of Jesus Christ: We have a deep commitment to develop men and women who are growing in their personal walk with Jesus Christ; an ability to develop a team of disciplers who in turn will “take on the responsibility” of discipling others in the local church; an ability to inspire those disciples to a deeper commitment to the elements of the intimate life with Christ, namely daily reading of God’s Word and prayer, commitment to small groups, Biblical stewardship and lifestyle evangelism.
- We reproduce elder-level leaders and above for Jesus Christ: We have a passionate commitment to provide mentoring and training for leaders of the local church to maximize their God-giftedness; an enthusiastic willingness to tailor-make training trips available to conferences, missions and service projects, and on-site Biblical tours in an effort to capture the heart, mind and imagination of each leader so that God can reveal His will and work to each leader.
- We train and launch workers into full-time service for Jesus Christ: We have the skills and abilities to develop these reproducing disciples and growing leaders into fully-qualified, full-time Christian workers; an ability to develop people into a Christ-like maturity with an emphasis on leadership skills; a desire to provide “on-the-job” training in the local church that could also involve “internship” level opportunities; an ability to secure staff and resources to accomplish this passion; and an ability to cast the vision and draw the commitment necessary to make this passion a reality.
- We develop and strengthen people of color by mentoring and training lay leaders and pastors both locally and globally: It is our desire to bring tools, resources, and training to people of all nationalities in leadership so that they may reach the ever-burgeoning ethnic populations in our country, as well as across the globe (Matthew 28:19-20). It is, and has been for decades, our prayer to be a part of the fulfillment of Psalm 2:8.
- We create and develop tools to make the spiritual life easier and more accessible: We have the ability to take complicated truth and make it “user-friendly” in such a way that people grow; a desire to see all levels of spiritual followers growing with easy to use, take home tools; an ability to develop simple tools to grow the spiritual and leadership life of members of the body.
Eagles In Leadership is lead by Dr. Matthew Lee Smith, Ph.D. Dr. Smith was born in Wisconsin. He was unaware of his need for Jesus Christ as personal savior until senior high school. As a sophomore, his history teacher shared The Four Spiritual Laws with him. There in that teacher’s office, Matthew prayed to receive Jesus Christ as Savior and put Christ on the Throne of his life as Lord.
Changes happened to Dr. Smith quickly. Soon his high school Spanish teacher, asked him to help begin a teen Bible study. Soon 40-50 teens met for study weekly. At his teacher’s church, Pastor Myron Higby challenged him to consider full-time Christian service. After a trip to the Moody Bible Institute of Chicago, Illinois and Trinity College in Deerfield, Illinois, he began to pray over God’s will for his life. God called him to Moody and Trinity. It was at Moody that Matthew surrendered to the call of God for ministry in a chapel service.
Marrying the joy of his eyes, Melodee Joy, the new couple moved to Southern California where he served as a volunteer youth pastor, as a part-time youth pastor and as a missionary pastor where they served for many years.
God brought about a life-changing step in Matthew and Melodee’s life when the couple accepted the call to East Los Angeles County. This was a time of great growth and development from a leadership standpoint for them. Turning around a dying church in an Hispanic community, the next 11 years allowed them to teach and train countless leaders in the Southwest and Mexico through leadership conferences and consulting opportunities. While there, Matthew earned his Masters of Arts in Ministry in Chicago and his Doctor of Philosophy in Christian Theology in Southern California.
Dr. Smith has since pastored churches in Iowa, Florida and California again. He currently pastors at Pacific Baptist Church in El Segundo, California. These opportunities allowed them to expand God’s Kingdom and reach out with mission teams throughout the United States, Mexico and France. He is currently adjunct faculty for Colorado Christian University and Bible Believers Christian College and Seminary. He has also been on the faculty at California Baptist University in the School of Christian Ministries and at California Pacific School of Theology.
Matthew’s habit of reading the Bible and prayer has been a source of great strength and understanding when it comes to leadership development. He reads the Bible at least once per year cover to cover. He enjoys an intimate, spiritual walk with God, enjoying hundreds of answers to prayer every quarter, and hundreds of new insights monthly from God’s Word (having read it cover-to-cover some 33 times since 1993). It is his habit to label and file each insight topically for future retrieval for messages. Currently he has some 20,000 plus topical observations from the Bible that are a direct result of God’s intimate work during his devotional time.
Books Dr. Smith has consulted on …
Transformational Church: Creating a New Scorecard for Congregations by Thom Rainer, Ed Stetzer and John Lescault
Executive Vice President of Media
Mike has 20 years experience in broadcasting. A 3-year stint as a sports broadcaster (professional Baseball on radio and football on TV) brought Mike to the call God had on his life. Even though Mike enjoyed sports greatly, an ongoing, deeper relationship with God caused Mike to use his talents for ministry. In 1987, Mike joined the team at Life 102.5 in Madison Wisconsin. First as a part time announcer, later an afternoon news anchor, then in June of 2003, Mike became host of the Afternoon program. Each weekday afternoon between 3:00 & 6:00 PM (Central Time) you will hear a mix of positive music, a little humor, experiences from Mike’s life and a desire to celebrate life with his listeners. Mike feels like this is the place where God can best use his talents and abilities.
You can listen to Mike live on Life 102.5 and click the “LISTEN ONLINE FM” button between 3:00 and 6:00 PM, Monday – Friday (Central Time). Mike still keeps his hand in the sports world by doing local television during football season. He gets an even bigger kick (as a former football place-kicker) as host of local sports ministry events. He has worked with the local “Athletes in Action” & Fellowship of Christian Athletes” ministry projects over the last twelve years.
Over the years Mike has worked with Eagles In Leadership on a variety of projects, including NFL Super Bowl outreach and Leadership Development training seminars. Mike recently accepted the post of Executive Vice President of Media in an effort to magnify and multiply the effects of Eagles In Leadership ministries. Mike resides in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin and is an active part of his church home at Northside Christian Assembly in Madison. He ministers to a variety of local churches and men’s groups.
Ever since she was small, Tabitha enjoyed writing. While at Moody Bible Institute she discovered her God-given talents in producing, Audio/Video, web design and graphics — she uses all of these talents for Eagles in Leadership and hopes that her gifts can be used to help encourage others. As an avid podcaster she’s also the Executive Producer of her own Podcast Network: Between the Lines Studios