Editor’s Note: We continue our series of blogs for those who are reading the Bible with us cover-to-cover this year. Interspersed with our thoughts on our daily reading, we want to provide some tips about reading the Bible in general. Today we want to explore …
Joshua: The Invasion of the Land for Israel (about 25 years)
In Joshua we see the nation of Israel finally achieving the long-awaited victory over the inhabitants of the land promised to Abraham by God. In this book, we see the systematic war of conquest led by the new military leader, Joshua. It is his name that this book bears. As we read, it is easy to see the mistakes of the past have been learned, and avoided as much as possible. It is easier to understand the book if we divide it into four parts. Today we will look at the third part …
Israel Defeats Many Of The People In The Land (Joshua 7-12)
Once the victory of Jericho is accomplished, plans are made to systematically take over the land. As the nation of Israel fight to conquer the inhabitants of the land, the principles of God lead them; either to victory when heeded, or defeat when ignored. As we read through this section, watch as …
- The disobedience of one man causes defeat to the entire nation! (Joshua 7)
- The destruction of a city results from the removal of the disobedient member! (Joshua 8 )
- The deception of an enemy occurs when leaders fail to consult the Lord and obtain His wisdom! (Joshua 9)
- The devastation of an enemy alliance happens as a result of the supernatural intervention by the God of the Universe! (Joshua 10)
- The dominion of the nation of Israel transpires over a major part of the Promised Land after a long period of time at war! (Joshua 11-12)
It is our hope that this background information helps a bit as you read on in the Bible. We will continue this series with our next installment on Thursday when we talk about “Israel Divides the Remainder of the Land.”
You can obtain more help from the FREE Bible reading schedule on our resource page. In His Image is a daily devotional that also follows our reading schedule and expresses the Biblical truth: “God Created You to Love You.” You can find this resource on the side bar of our website.
For Our Los Angeles County Friends!
Dr. Matthew Smith will be speaking on Sunday, March 27th in Long Beach and would like to invite you to attend. He will be speaking on the subject, “Are We Living Jesus’ Ultimate Purpose?” There is no fee for this event and all are welcome. Here are the details:
March 27 – 10:45 am Worship Speaker @ University Baptist Church, 3434 Chatwin Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90808 – (562) 425-0912
Hope to see you there!