Editor’s Note: We continue our series of blogs for those who are reading the Bible with us cover-to-cover this year. Interspersed with our thoughts on our daily reading, we want to provide some tips about reading the Bible in general.
Nehemiah: The Rebuilding of Israel’s Security
We learn in this book that “one man can make a difference.” What is that difference in the book of Nehemiah? It is the rebuilding of a people by fortifying their physical and spiritual boundaries. Nehemiah explains the need for a burden and then a willingness to be the one through whom the burden will be removed. Today we look as the first of the two steps outlined.
Nehemiah’s Spiritual Career Culminating In Renewing the Covenant In Jerusalem (8-13)
In this section we can see:
- Worship is restored in Jerusalem through the Law. (Nehemiah 8 )
- Confession is made in Jerusalem by the people. (Nehemiah 9)
- Promise is given in Jerusalem through a covenant. (Nehemiah 10)
- Life is reestablished in Jerusalem through residences. (Nehemiah 11)
- Dedication is offered in Jerusalem by Nehemiah. (Nehemiah 12)
- Separation is begun in Jerusalem by application of the Word of God. (Nehemiah 13)
There is a key lesson from this section of God’s Word: If you are willing to follow God’s heart and will wholeheartedly, he will embrace you and rescue you!
It is our hope that this background information helps a bit as you read on in the Bible.
You can obtain more help from the FREE Bible reading schedule on our resource page. In His Image is a daily devotional that also follows our reading schedule and expresses the Biblical truth: “God Created You to Love You.” You can find this resource on the side bar of our website.
Join Dr. Smith in Bell Gardens, CA This Month!