For so many, fulltime employment seems to be an elusive dream. Unemployment rates are high, and the gap between jobs can be paralyzing for many. I know because it has been 15 months since I’ve had a fulltime position.
When time drags on and you have done everything you can possibly think of to find that position, it is natural to ask God, “Where are you? What have I done? When will you answer my prayers?”
The only hope for the child of God in these dark times is an intimate, vibrant walk with God. In those quiet times of listening to the Spirit of God, reading his word and praying for direction, we discover the same seven reasons to hope in God that Job knew.
“As for me, I would seek God, and to God would I commit my cause, who does great things and unsearchable, marvelous things without number: he gives rain on the earth and sends waters on the fields; he sets on high those who are lowly, and those who mourn are lifted to safety. He frustrates the devices of the crafty, so that their hands achieve no success. He catches the wise in their own craftiness, and the schemes of the wily are brought to a quick end. They meet with darkness in the daytime and grope at noonday as in the night. But he saves the needy from the sword of their mouth and from the hand of the mighty. So the poor have hope, and injustice shuts her mouth.” (Job 5:8–16, ESV)
- God does great things – whenever my heart begins to question God’s ability to help me, I return to this truth.
- God gives rain to the earth – abundance is God’s heart and this passage reminds me that God is always preparing for the season of harvest – including mine.
- God raises the lowly – perhaps one of the more encouraging aspects of God’s character is that he promotes those who are low, in his time and for his purposes.
- God lifts those who mourn – repeatedly we discover from God’s Word that God is touched by the cry of his children. This promise encourages me because God knows our hearts and hears our cries for help.
- God frustrates the crafty – some people are out to get us, and God knows who they are. If you are a victim of such treatment, God knows what’s happening and will put an end to their devices.
- God catches the wily – again, if you are suffering from the schemes of people who are purposely injuring you or your career, God has amazing ways to expose them and dispose of them.
- God saves the needy from the mighty – note the phrase, “from the sword of their mouth.” In times of great distress, there seems to be no end to the number of comments and people who would like to condemn us, to make some snide remark or pass judgment. God saves us from these – whether we listen to them or they are intimated.
Over the past 15 months there have been many times when I’ve felt down. Each time I return to one of these great truths.
God cares and God is working on my behalf because he loves his children. The same is true for you.
Trust God and stay close to him. He is working on your behalf and will answer soon!
You can obtain more help from the FREE Bible reading schedule on our resource page. In His Image is a daily devotional that also follows our reading schedule and expresses the Biblical truth: “God Created You to Love You.” You can find this resource on the side bar of our website.
Join Dr. Smith in Bell Gardens, CA This Month!