“If my people would only listen to me, if Israel would only follow my ways, how quickly I would subdue their enemies and turn my hand against their foes! Those who hate the Lordwould cringe before him, and their punishment would last forever. But you would be fed with the finest of wheat; with honey from the rock I would satisfy you.” (Psalm 81:13–16, NIV)
Asaph, the Psalmist, told the people of God that to listen to Him meant that they would FOLLOW the Lord’s ways. When they followed His ways, Asaph declared there were six benefits …
- The Lord would subdue all their enemies (14)
- The Lord would turn His hand against all their foes (14)
- The Lord would cause those who hate Him to cringe before Him (15)
- The Lord would punish their enemies forever (15)
- The Lord would feed His people with the finest of wheat (16)
- And the Lord would satisfy them with honey from the rock (16)
Since the Lord is the same yesterday, today, and forever, think of how His character never changes. this, then, is a great diagnostic passage for you and I then.
- Are we really listening to the Lord?
- Are we really paying attention to what He’s saying to us?
The answer is very simple to discover. According to Asaph, all we have to do is look for these six benefits in our personal lives.
May God subdue all your enemy and bless you with the abundance of His hand as you truly follow Him by obeying what He says and submitting to His plans for your life (Psalm 81.11-12).
What do you say?
Share your thoughts in the comments below …